Friday, January 14, 2011

More on Emotional Intelligence

Emotional Intelligence (abbreviated EQ for intelligence quotient) is an individual's ability to be in touch with their own emotions and the emotions of others and to use that information to improve their relationships. Here are some things common among people with high EQ levels.

High EQ people:

Label their feelings, rather than labeling people or situations. "I feel impatient." vs "This is ridiculous", "I feel hurt and bitter" vs. "You are an insensitive jerk!",
"I feel afraid" vs. "You are driving like a idiot!";

Distinguish between thoughts and feelings. Thoughts: I feel like...& I feel as if... & I feel that...Feelings: I feel:(feeling word);

Take responsibility for their feelings. "I feel jealous" vs. "You are making me jealous";

Use their feelings to help them make decisions. "How will I feel if I do this?" "How will I feel if I don't?";

Show respect for other people's feelings. They ask "How will you feel if I do this?", "How will you feel if I don't?";

Feel energized, not angry. They use what others call "anger" to help them feel energized to take productive action;

Validate other people's feelings. They show empathy, understanding, and acceptance of other people's feelings;

Practice getting a positive value from their negative emotions. They ask themselve, "How do I feel?" and "What would help me feel better?"; They ask others "How do you feel?" and "What would help you feel better?";

Don't advise, command, control, criticize, judge or lecture to others. They realize it doesn't feel good to be on the receiving end of such behavior, so they
avoid it;

Avoid people who invalidate them, or don't respect their feelings. As much as possible, they choose to associate only with other people with high EQ.

[Steve Hein, The EQ Institute]

How is your EQ level?

We now provide a special program for enhancing Emotional Intelligence along with our Anger Management program.

For more information, please contact

Dr. Steven J. Sinert, CAMF
Certified Anger Management Provider
Nevada Anger Management, LLC
5812 S. Pecos Road, Suite B
Las Vegas, NV 89120
702 353 1750
www.nevadaangermanagement.com

No comments: