Monday, January 17, 2011

Civility, Anger Management & Emotional Intelligence: Unintended Consequences of Tucson

The tragedy in Tucson has resulted in an avalanche of self-referrals to anger management programs nationwide. Parents who are fearful of the potential for violence on the part of their off spring as well as spouses are asking to be seen individually or in groups. Even neighbors are urging others to seek help for long standing problems in interpersonal relationships.

Mental health providers are experiencing an increase in referrals for anxiety and depression which are oftern precursors of anger and/or impediments to empathy and emotional intelligence. Below are some of the comments from callers.

•I am a Chef and last Sunday my anger was so extreme it freightened me. I just know that it is time to do something that I should have done long ago. Take an anger management class.

•My son is 17 and we are worrying about him because he is always angry to the extent that his friends are even telling him that he needs help.

•My wife wants me to come and, I guess she is right. I find myself over reacting to almost everything.

•I have two small children and I find myself pinching them, throwing things and yelling when they are only being children.

•I am a Priest and a number of my parishioners have privately urged my to seek counseling for my temper. It is embarrassing for a person in my position.

•I am a Professional in Elder Care. I found myself yelling at a neighbor who I later found in terminally ill. I feel so ashamed.

These are just some of the comments. The number of calls have increased dramatically since the cry for civility hit the airways and the Internet. This is a trend that a grieving nation needs.

[from George Anderson, MSW]

For more information, please contact

Dr. Steven J. Sinert
Certified Anger Management Provider & Coach
Nevada Anger Management, LLC
5812 S. Pecos Road, Suite B
Las Vegas, NV 89120
702 353 1750
www.nevadaangermanagement.com

No comments: